Monday, June 01, 2009

First of the season Tomato Risotto


I am starting to see nice tomatoes showing up at the farmers market now, you know its just a tease for whats to follow in a few months. I bought some tomatoes anyway because I am ready for summer to start. I first had the idea of doing a salad of tomato, mozzarella and basil, but I thought the flavors would not be perfect for that yet. A way of concentrating the flavors would be to sun dry or in my case, oven dry. So that's what I did, all afternoon in a 200F oven with a little olive oil and garlic for flavoring. Next I made a simple risotto using a tomato stock and finishing with the chunks of oven dried tomato and fresh basil. It was a lot of work in front of the stove but it turned out great and I will try it in a few months when tomatoes are at there peak.

No comments: