Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Posole Soup

This Mexican soup is common around Christmas time, but I like it all the time. I make it with chicken stock, sliced onions, dried chili peppers and garlic added to browned chunks of pork, after this simmers a few hours and becomes tender I add hominy. This ladled into big bowls and simply garnished to taste with diced avocado, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon or lime. It has the rich flavor of slow simmered pork and corn tortillas, which are made from the same treated corn that is hominy. Other additional options can include fried tortilla strips, crisp lettuce, diced red onions and diced jalapenos.

2 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

I sure do love posole and this version looks like a good one.

Gregory Clausen said...

Also very good with chicken, to me its Mexican comfort food. All of my favorite flavors combined in one soup.