Tonight with my daughter quietly doing her school homework I was faced with my daily challenge of "What to make for dinner" Using ingredients I had on hand I came up with bruschetta. This is basically a form of a rustic grilled toast with a savory topping. Having some nice Fontina cheese and Del Cabo organic cherry tomatoes it all came together fast and easy.
2 Rustic bread slices, 1/2 inch thick
1 cup organic cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 slices Fontina cheese
1 clove garlic
3 leaves fresh Basil
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Mix the tomatoes, basil and half the olive oil in a bowl, season to taste.
2. Brush the rest of the oil on both sides of the bread.
3. Grill the bread on both sides in a hot stove top grill pan or outdoor live fire grill.
4. When bread is crisp and golden remove and rub with the garlic clove.
5. Add the cheese slices while still warm and spoon the tomato mixture over.
Note: There are many variations to this recipe using the bread as a base for your choice of toppings.