Sunday, March 27, 2011

Asparagus with Olive Vinaigrette

Spring Asparagus Asparagus on Crostini with Olive Vinaigrette


After a long rainy Winter I am really ready for spring produce and I trip to the local farmers market was where I found it. Its still early in the season but Spring asparagus was everywhere along artichokes and they were even starting to sell tomato plants. My market strategy is to walk the whole place first and see what I might what to buy noting the prices at each stall, then I go back and buy the best looking produce with good prices, I even better deal is buying in bulk where you can save a dollar or two. I had to get a few bunches of asparagus which I planned to cook then dress with a chopped olive vinaigrette served on grilled country bread. Awesome and so simple.


Ingredients:

1 bunch asparagus, ends peeled and trimmed

2 T extra virgin olive oil plus more for the bread

1 T balsamic vinegar

1 T flat leaf parsley, chopped

1 T Pine nuts, toasted

1/2 cup olives, pitted and rough chopped

3 rustic country bread slices, thick sliced and grilled

Method:

1. Quickly blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water, drain, rapid cool in ice water.

2. Brush bread slices with olive oil, grill or toast till golden.

3. Make a vinaigrette with vinegar, olive oil, pepper, olives and parsley.

4. Divide the drained asparagus on the crostini, spoon olive vinaigrette over.

5. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.

Yield=3

No comments: