Sunday, January 13, 2013

Prawn Ceviche

In the dead of a cold Winter night I wanted to brighten my mood with some warm weather food, and making fresh prawn ceviche on a home made tortilla was just what I needed.
A ceviche is a classic preparation of fish or seafood that is flavored and cooked using the acid of citrus fruit. A simple rule of thumb when making ceviche is to start with very fresh seafood, and the bigger the piece of fish the longer it will take to cook. The acid transforms it from raw to ready to eat. Maybe a few hours for small cuts or overnight for large. Lime is the common citrus juice and a touch of orange juice can be added for its sweetness. Always use fresh and never that bottled stuff. In this recipe I used the juice of fresh limes from my garden, small diced red onions and Thai green chilis. To serve, I placed the ceviche on a home made warm flour tortilla with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro. To boost the heat I used a few drops of my super hot Habanero sauce.

No comments: