Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pan Seared Pacific Snapper




I made a quick and easy fish recipe for dinner tonight. I used Pacific Red Snapper fillet for its clean ocean flavor and flaky texture. Also to go with it I used one of my favorite beans, garbanzo's or as they are also known chick peas. I simply stewed them with onions, tomato, garlic and saffron. With the strong flavors of the dish I chose a sauce that would stand up to them, Salsa Verde which translates to "green sauce". Its simply loads of fresh parsley, capers, lemon juice and olive oil, blended till smooth.
Ingredients:
2 five ounce red snapper fillet, bones removed
2 cups cooked chick peas
1 small onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 Roma tomato, sliced
1 dash olive oil
1 pinch fresh chopped oregano
Kosher salt/pepper
2 tablespoons Salsa Verde (recipe follows)

Method:
1. saute onions, garlic, tomato, oregano, saffron in olive oil.
2. When vegetables are tender, add the chick peas and a little water or white wine and continue to simmer.
3. Heat a non stick or cast iron pan (my choice)
4. Add a dash of olive oil and place seasoned fillets in pan when smoking hot, use your fan.
5. After a few minutes flip the fillets over and continue to cook till done.
6. Spoon chick pea stew on center plate and place fish on top, spoon sauce on and around fish.
Yield= 2

Salsa Verde Sauce
1 bunch cleaned flat leaf parsley
2 cloves garlic
2 cups olive oil
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons capers

Place all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

This looks fantastic! I actually came across your blog a few nights ago and was inspired to create my own version of pan-seared red snapper. Will definitely have to try to take with chickpeas.

isil said...

I tried this recipe tonight with fresh pacific snapper and it turned out great. My boyfriend was very impressed and he loved the zestyness of it. Thank you very much for this.