Friday, April 10, 2009

Pan Roasted Sea Bass


I have a special dinner coming up in a few months and I wanted to try out some Sea Bass ideas. This Sea Bass is known as Mexican bass, in a month or two when summer comes and the Mexican waters warm up, these fish will swim North to cooler American waters and then the fish will be known as California Sea Bass. I really want to cook and serve the fish with the beautiful skin on, not only will it be golden and crispy but it will help retain the moisture. I pan seared the simply seasoned fish fillet skin side down in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Adding the olive oil brings the smoke point up, which means the oil and butter mixture will reach a higher cooking temperature before it starts to smoke (burn) After a few minutes of cooking on the stove, the pan goes into a 400 degree oven to roast for about 6 minutes.
I served sauteed spinach and garlic and a mixture of wild mushrooms with the Bass. It turned out moist and flavorful, I have a few more ideas to try but this might make the menu.

No comments: