|Sweet and Crunchy Peanut Brittle|
One of the easiest sweets to make is a nut brittle with only a few ingredients needed. This recipe uses peanuts, but any kind of nuts can be used.
1 quart sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 quart peanuts
1/3 cup butter
1. In a heavy pan or pot add the sugar, corn syrup and a dash of water, stir well.
2. Slowly bring to a simmer and using a candy thermometer bring the temperature up to 300F.
3. Add the nuts and butter, stir well till they are evenly coated.
4. Have a flat sheet pan greased with oil and on a surface where the hot candy will not damage it.
5. Carefully pour out the hot mixture and using a heatproof spatula spread it out evenly.
6. Allow to cool completely, then break into smaller bite size pieces.
Note: Corn syrup does not have to be used in the recipe, but will help prevent the sugar mixture from crystallizing during the cooking process.
|Cooking sugar to the right temperature|
There are many stages in cooking sugar depending on what recipe you are making; brittle being hard and crunchy needs to be cooked to 300 degrees, which is called the Hard Crack Stage.
|Peanuts in the hot cooked sugar|
When the liquid sugar reaches 300F it's ready and the nuts can be carefully added using a heat proof spatula. Caution -it's very hot.
|Poured into a lightly greased sheet pan|
After the brittle is poured and allowed to cool, it can be broken into any size or shape.