Tonight with a burst of energy I made fresh pasta and a simple sauce of Roma tomatoes and garlic. The pasta using only three ingredients took about half an hour to complete. A nice finish to the dish was sprinkling freshly made bread crumbs to give the pasta a crunchy texture.
Basic fresh pasta:
4 cups all purpose flour
2 whole organic eggs
1 dash kosher salt
water as needed
1. Place a mound of flour on the work surface and add the salt, eggs and a little water in the center, mix well and add more water if too dry.
2. knead mixture till it forms a soft but not sticky dough.
3. Let rest for 15 minutes covered with plastic to prevent drying out.
4. Using a pasta rolling machine, roll out long sheets, then cut into desired lengths and shapes. (I made wide ribbons)
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, it will cook in less then a minute, drain water and its ready for sauce.
While the pasta was resting I put together the sauce using 4 freshly diced roma tomatoes, 3 cloves of sliced garlic, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, a dash of crushed chili flakes and salt. Brown garlic in olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients, simmer for a few minutes, check seasoning and its done.