Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tropical Fruits

I got the urge for warm weather fruit in the middle of winter. I have tried star fruits a long time ago and decided to buy some again to show my kids, they have never seen or heard of it. I picked up a mango for them to try also, they love them and I wanted them to try a different variety called a Manila mango. The manila is a little smaller with a yellow coloring when ripe. The reason why people like this variety more is because it is less stringy in texture then the conventional mango's you will find in the store. The star fruit gets it name from its five long segments that form a perfect star shape when seen from the end. It has a smooth waxy skin with a taste very much like Asian pear, there is not much to eat on this expensive fruit and its use is more for its looks then taste.

No comments: