Monday, March 15, 2010

Okinawa Purple Sweet Potato



I went to visit my favorite Asian market in San Francisco during the last weekend. I like going there because there is always some new product or food to see, this time in vegetable department.
I discovered what appeared to be normal sweet potatoes, but upon removing the brown skin a bright purple center was exposed!  This variety of sweet potato is called Okinawa originally from the Yomitan village in the Okinawa region in Japan. I wanted to simply cook them so I would be able to taste the sweet potatoes in there purest form. I roasted them with their skins on for about an hour in a 350 degree oven. When soft, I split them in half and scooped out the purple flesh, then a little sprinkle of salt to finish. They were really good, but if you did not see the color they would have tasted like any other sweet potatoes.

1 comment:

Fog City Racing said...

These look extraordinary!