Monday, February 14, 2011

Stuffed Squid with Polenta

I had a craving for squid and one of my favorite ways to enjoy it is stuffed and braised in tomatoes and garlic. One problem people have when cooking squid is it becomes very chewy like rubber, so there are only two ways to cook squid -either very quickly or very long. Stuffed squid is best when simmered for at least thirty minutes or longer. For the filling rice is a good choice but I used bread crumbs today because I had a nice loaf on hand. Chopped tentacles, parsley and garlic were mixed with the bread crumbs and carefully stuffed into the tubes then secured with a toothpick. I made a simple sauce to cook them in using diced yellow onion, tomatoes, garlic, green olives, anchovy paste and white wine. The stuffed tubes and tentacles go in with the lid on, 45 minutes of gentle simmering and they are ready for the creamy polenta made in a second pot. Toothpicks removed and a dusting of chopped parsley to finish.

No comments: