Posole soup is a Christmas tradition in Mexico and at my house too. All of my favorite Latin flavors in one big bowl, braised chicken, chili peppers, hominy, avocado and fresh cilantro. It is very easy to make and everyone can garnish there own soup with a choice of there favorite condiments like crispy fried tortillas, diced avocado and jalapenos.
2 whole chicken legs, skin removed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 quart water
2 cups canned hominy, drained
Salt to taste
1. In a heavy pot saute the onion and garlic in a dash of vegetable oil.
2. Add the chili powder and saute one minute more.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for one hour.
4. Remove chicken legs and remove meat from bones, return to soup.
5. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary, ladle into preheated bowls.
To serve: have small bowls of fried tortillas strips, diced jalapenos, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, hot sauce available for guests to add to there soups.