I made a nice hor d'oeuvre of smoked salmon on a potato blini finished with a dollop of creme fresh and chives. They are fairly simple to make and good for the holiday parties. If they are made a little bigger they would make a nice first course or they can have the addition of caviar and be served with a glass of good champagne.
1/2 cup cooked and mashed russet potatoes
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 whole egg
1/4 cup flour
dash kosher salt
whole milk as needed
1. In a bowl mix all ingredients with a wire whisk.
2. Add milk to mixture till it becomes a thin smooth batter.
3. Ladle one ounce of batter per pancake on a hot greased non stick pan.
4. When they start to dry on the edges, flip and finish cooking.
5. Assemble with smoked salmon, a dollop of creme fresh and a sprinkle of chopped chives.
Note: store bought smoked salmon can be used, sour cream can be used instead of creme fresh.