Monday, October 12, 2009
Stormy Night Comfort Food
Tonight with the first major storm of the winter rolling in from the cold ocean, I felt like a big warm bowl of soft and creamy polenta served along side a rich tomato and chicken stew. Some foods are better the next day like the chicken stew I made last night which was simply reheated and served with the polenta. I don't know how bad the storm will be but I am happy now with my dinner.
Chicken and Tomato Stew
3 skinless Chicken thighs
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 Yellow onion, sliced
3 Roma tomatoes, medium dice
Pinch of Oregano (fresh or dried)
Splash of Red Wine
Splash of Olive oil
Kosher salt/Black Pepper to taste
1. Brown the seasoned chicken in hot olive oil.
2. Add the sliced onions, garlic, oregano and tomatoes, cook till soft.
3. Add the wine and cover pan, simmer till tender (about 45 min)
Add some water if necessary to prevent from burning.
1/2 cup Polenta
3 cups salted water or seasoned chicken stock
a good Pinch of Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Bring the water or stock to a boil, turn heat down.
2. Slowly add the polenta while stirring to prevent lumps from forming.
3. Continue to stir on low temperature till cooked (about 15-20min)
4. Add the Parmeasan cheese and serve along with the stew.