A trip to the weekend farmers market left me with a abundance of fresh corn, so I came up with the idea of making pancakes using whole kernels and chopped scallions folded in them. In addition to the corn cakes I made a saute of chicken breast with a relish of cherry tomato-corn to go on the pancakes. A good way to increase the corn flavor of the pancakes is using a puree of corn in the batter and some corn flour as well. The pancakes will have a very fresh corn flavor with the crunchy texture from the whole corn kernels. This is a rustic corn cake dish, but for a more upscale recipe try a dollop of sour cream with caviar.
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash kosher salt
1 pinch sliced scallions
Milk as needed
1. Puree half the corn in a blender (reserve half for batter.)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Add milk while running till it reaches a thick batter consistency.
4. Add whole corn kernels and scallions.
5. Cook on a hot greased non stick pan till golden on both sides.