Sunday, August 08, 2010

Caveman Cut Rib Eye Steak


"Caveman Cut" Rib Eye Steaks

High Heat Grilling

Rib Eye Steak with Brussels Sprouts and Potato Gratin


It is not often that I will eat steak, but I just had this craving for it and my new grill helped with that decision. When I was looking for a proper cut of meat to grill such as a Porterhouse, a huge rib eye steak in the meat case jumped out at me, it was a locally raised cut of beef with really nice fat marbling and with the bone still attached, this monster weighed in at 24 ounces (683.28G) because of its large primal size it has been often called a "Caveman Steak". The secret to keeping the flavor is to simply season it with lots of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper and then placing the room temperature steak on a very hot grill to seal in the juices and produce a flavorful charred crust. To do this I used a good quality mesquite charcoal which burns very hot. After about five minutes on each side for medium rare it was done and then needed to rest for about 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. I made a compound butter with balsamic caramelized red onions and rosemary to spread on the still warm meat, it melted into a Delicious sauce. With the steaks a served sauteed shaved Brussels sprouts with bacon and a crispy Yukon gold potato gratin.

1 comment:

Dom said...

Looks tasty! I love the Rib eye steak almost as much as I love bacon ;)