Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Romanesco Broccoli

Romanesco

Simply Roasted Romanesco

I visited my local Marin County Farmers Market this last weekend and one thing I like about it is that year 'round you will see foods appear as they come into season. The dominate item I saw everywhere flooding the market right now is Romanesco, a form of a cauliflower borrowing some of broccoli's color and flavor. It's a beautiful large bud with a series of smaller spiky buds that give it a very distinctive look.With all the different vendors selling this vegetable I was able to shop for the best quality and price, I found some nice Romanesco for a cheap $1.00 a pound from Coachella Valley, California, other vendors were selling it for as high as $3.00 a pound. My favorite way to prepare it, is to cut it into small pieces and roast at 400 degrees tossed in extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic. Roasting it gives it a almost smoky taste and intensifies the flavor. I am becoming quite fond of this vegetable and have the idea of maybe making a gratin out of it as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting.... never come across these greens in Malaysia.