Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Orleans Food Memories

I was thinking recently about my visit to New Orleans and all the fantastic foods I enjoyed there, it gave me the urge to make a Louisiana style "Po Boy" sandwich. Since I love any kind of seafood, fish was my first choice for the sandwich. I found at my favorite market the locally caught Halibut looked the best so that's what I used. The name Po Boy is the Louisiana dialect of Poor Boy which originated as a low cost sandwich for the working class. The sandwich traditionally always is made with a form of seafood to include Oysters, Shrimp, Crawfish or maybe Catfish. They are simply made with only fried seafood on soft French bread, they can come "dressed" with shredded lettuce, tomato and maybe a form of Mayonnaise.

Fried Halibut Po Boy

Ingredients:
5 ounces fresh Halibut, cut in strips
2 Tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhommes Blackened Fish Spice
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1 6 inch soft french roll
Juice of one lemon
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
Dash Canola oil

Method:
1. Mix a pinch of of the seasoning, lemon juice with the mayonnaise.
2. Dredge the Halibut in the seasoning and pan fry in smoking hot canola oil.
3. When fish is crispy and cooked through remove and place a paper towels to drain.
4. Slice roll in half and place lettuce on bottom half, add fish on top.
5. Drizzle the seasoned mayonnaise over fish and place the top roll on top.

Enjoy with a cold beer and plenty of napkins!

No comments: