|Fresh Tomato Sauce|
|Sausage Stuffed Zucchini|
Last weekend I was driving back home from visiting with my mom, she is known as "Nonna" to my kids which means Grandmother in Italian. I always stop at a my favorite roadside produce market and on this day I bought lots of fresh vegetables including some beautiful green zucchini. At first I thought of making a form of ratatouille but instead decided to stuff them like my moms use to do when I was a kid. I of course made some changes to be able to use some of the ingredients I had on hand. They in the end turned out great and helped keep my moms cooking memories alive.
Nonna's Stuffed Zucchini
4 Medium zucchini
2 Italian Sausage links or the same weight in bulk sausage
2 T Bread Crumbs or Panko
1 T Parsley, chopped
1 Corn, kernels removed
1 T Pine nuts (Optional)
1. Cut Zucchini in half length wise and hollow out the center with a Mellon baller, reserve pulp.
2. Put all the rest of the ingredients including the zucchini pulp into a electric mixer with paddle attachment, slowly mix till well blended but without becoming gummy.
3. Spoon the filling into the hallowed out cavity of the zucchini, Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over them.
4. At this point they can be cooked by themselves on a baking sheet or in a saute pan on a bed of fresh tomato sauce.
5. Cook at 375F for about 20 minutes or till the stuffing becomes golden brown.
Serve hot with the tomato sauce or at room temperature.