Monday, August 20, 2012

Nonna's Stuffed Zucchini



Fresh Tomato Sauce
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini

Last weekend I was driving back home from visiting with my mom, she is known as "Nonna" to my kids which means Grandmother in Italian. I always stop at a my favorite roadside produce market and on this day I bought lots of fresh vegetables including some beautiful green zucchini. At first I thought of making a form of ratatouille but instead decided to stuff them like my moms use to do when I was a kid. I of course made some changes to be able to use some of the ingredients I had on hand. They in the end turned out great and helped keep my moms cooking memories alive.

Nonna's Stuffed Zucchini

Ingredients:
4 Medium zucchini
2 Italian Sausage links or the same weight in bulk sausage
1 Egg
2 T Bread Crumbs or Panko
1 T Parsley, chopped
1 Corn, kernels removed
1 T Pine nuts (Optional)
Salt/Pepper

Method:
1. Cut Zucchini in half length wise and hollow out the center with a Mellon baller, reserve pulp.
2. Put all the rest of the ingredients including the zucchini pulp into a electric mixer with paddle attachment, slowly mix till well blended but without becoming gummy.
3. Spoon the filling into the hallowed out cavity of the zucchini, Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over them.
4. At this point they can be cooked by themselves on a baking sheet or in a saute pan on a bed of fresh tomato sauce.
5. Cook at 375F for about 20 minutes or till the stuffing becomes golden brown.

Serve hot with the tomato sauce or at room temperature.
Yield=3-4


No comments: