Its the end of Summer and with that a heatwave to warm things up, maybe for one last time before the cold weather reappears. I enjoyed the weather with a spicy blackened fillet of Rock Cod or Red Snapper as its also known as. To serve with the fish I chose to make a Summer relish of grilled yellow corn, cherry tomatoes and lime segments. Quick, light and easy on a hot night.
1 lime, segments removed
1 ear of corn, grilled and cut
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 pinch parsley, chopped
3 Tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
Juice of one lime
Kosher Salt/Cracked Peppercorns
1. Mix well and taste for proper seasoning.
Blackened Fish Fillets
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 boneless 5-6 oz Rock Cod Fillets, skin on, scales off
1. Dredge the fillets in the spice mixture.
2. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a very hot cast iron pan.
3. Place the fillets skin side down, press flat with a spatula to prevent the fish from curling.
4. After about one minute, flip over to finish cooking, which should only one or two minutes.
The fish fillets should be dark and crisp but without being burned, serve the fish with the Tomato and corn relish.